Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Are You Chicken or the Egg?


This week I was inspired by Peter Elbow's (2004) article, First! Putting writing before reading in an effective approach to teaching and learning. I very much agree with his "writing and reading" philosophy. There are so many benefits to providing writing instruction before (or alongside) reading instruction. The text did, however, have me begin to question students' experiences with reading and writing. Which do they encounter first? How much does one truly affect the other?


In response to my own inquiries, I wrote a fiction-based short story that truly questions which comes first: reading or writing? The horse or the wagon? The chicken or the egg?

Are You "Chicken" or the Egg?

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT story! I love the way you had me "not quite sure" where you were headed ... until the end! This article has the same impact on me. Yes we know it intuitively, but it makes us think!

    ReplyDelete